From:
Shari Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 91 17:13:23 2359
>Dave Suess writes (in reference to the ND-WI rivalry):
>
>  > Not to take anything away from the equally-old and equally-hallowed
>  > rivalry between the Fighting Sioux and the Golden Gophers, though.

>The Minnesota-North Dakota rivalry does not seem to be quite as intense and
>angry as the rivalry between the Sioux and the Badgers.  You may recall that
>in 1987, when North Dakota played Michigan State for the NCAA Championship
>at "The Joe," the Minnesota band joined forces with North Dakota's band
>in a show of WCHA solidarity, to cheer the Sioux on to victory.  I doubt
>we would see a similar occurrence if the two schools involved were Minnesota
>and Wisconsin, or North Dakota and Wisconsin.

I would tend to agree with Erik's statement. Back in 1983 when the NCAA
final 4 was held up in Grand Forks, both Minnesota and Wisconsin were in
contention. The Gophers came in highly rated, and the Badgers got in
through the 'back door' so to speak. Anyways... the Gophers choked, and
lost in the first round, while the Badgers won their game. In the third
place game, when it became apparent that the Gophers would lose (I can't
even remember who we played), two Bucky Badger fans paraded around the
stadium with a huge sign that read "HAIL MARY, FULL OF GRACE - MINNESOTA'S
IN 4TH PLACE!!". Needless to say, we weren't amused!! Not exactly what you
would call cheering for your conference!

go go gophers...
shari