Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1992 13:04:44 -0500
 Bob Schwartz wrote that he heard the reason Brooks "wasn't a candidate" for
 the '92 job was that USA Hockey wanted someone for '92 and '94.

 This is backwards. The reason Herb Brooks WITHDREW his name from consideration
 from the '92 job was that Brooks said he wanted to be the coach for BOTH '92
 and '94.  USA Hockey wouldn't even consider it! It was Brooks's belief that
 CONTINUITY OF THE PROGRAM was of significant importance. So, since they would
 not commit to hiring him for BOTH Olympic "seasons" he withdrew his name.

 BTW, I think that Brooks is right, CONTINUITY is important. Considering what
 has been done (or not done) since the 1980 Gold Medal Team, it would be
 interesting and might even HELP if USA Hockey went back to recruiting a
 college coach to take on the job. However, I believe that politics plays TOO
 BIG of a part in USA Hockey and until there is a new director of USA Hockey
 that doesn't insist on the political game being played, we will continue to
 have only mediocre success in the Olympics. It would be my vote to recruit
 Shawn Walsh for the '94 job.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!