Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1992 12:59:17 -0500
 roberto alvarez wrote:
 >The traditional badger was thrown out onto the ice... personally I don't
 >any big deal, it just an animal.  Anyway the student who tossed it
 >was cited and bail was set for $300. His court case was this morning
 >if I find any details I'll be sure to post them.

 I wasn't going to post anything about this, and I really don't want to start
 anything but...

 For those of you that don't know, the badger is an endangered species and
 THAT is why the student was arrested and probably will be fined.  Personally
 I hope that they make an example of him and that the UND student body learns
 something from this. I have never liked it when the UND fans have thrown
 "the traditional dead gopher" on the ice and think it is disgusting.  The ONLY
  thing that will put an end to this behavior is if the officials penalize the
 UND team for delay of game, EVERY TIME IT HAPPENS, until it stops.  I believe
 that I read here on this list the fact that coach Gino Gasparini has asked the
 fans NOT to do this.  Somehow I think that if UND had an animal mascot, and the
  tables were turned it wouldn't be "no big deal, it's just an animal".  I'm
 sure that it wouldn't be deemed very funny if the effigy of a dead Sioux
 would appear after a team scored on UND.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!