Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1991 12:13:10 -0500
 The Minnesota Gophers pounded the Calgary Dinosaurs 10-4 last night. Senior
 captain Larry Olimb got the hat trick and freshman Justin McHugh and sophomore
 Craig Johnson got two goals each. Other Gopher goals were scored by Doug
 Zmolek, Steve Magnusson, and Jeff Nielsen.

 Calgary's goalie looked very shakey and most likely put in at least two of the
 Gophers' goals himself.  I was surprised that they left him in for the whole
 game.  The Gophers split the goaltending duties 50-50 between freshman Jeff
 Callinan and junior Tom Newman.  Newman, who hasn't started a game "since
 before the Twins won the World Series," looked good and Woog was pleased with
 his performance.

 The referee for the evening was none other than THE Ron Foyt himself.  For a
 supervisor of officials, he could certainly set a better example.  While
 watching the games from the Great Lakes Invitational Tourney this past weekend
 I was again reminded that good officials DO EXIST.  Pietrowski of the CCHA is
 outstanding! He has a great attitude on the ice, takes no guff from the players
  and is in control at all times without being on a power trip. They had a mike
 on Pietrowski and his comments while working the game just reinforce my
 impression of him.  I wonder if he'd like to work for the WCHA.  I think it's
 time to write to Foyt's supervisor and let them know where they can see the
 best college ref!

 Calgary is off to Madison to face the Badgers now.  The Gophers head up to the
  U.P. to face the Michigan Tech Huskies who are really on the comeback trail.
 Let's GO Gophers!!!

                      HAPPY NEW YEAR HOCKEY FANS!!!!!!

 Carol
 U of M