Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1991 15:49:18 -0500
 This will be from off the top of my head, as I left my newspapers at home. As
 was reported earlier the Gophers beat the Bowling Green Falcons 6-5 in
 overtime last Sunday evening. The Falcons were impressive and seemed MUCH
 BETTER than their 4-9 record indicates.

 Woog chose to give freshman goaltender Jeff Callinan a start and kept him in
 the game despite a couple of mistakes that almost cost us the game. I hope
 that with a little more experience, the mistakes will grow fewer! In any case,
 there are a group of fans in my section that are thinking of purchasing a
 bungee cord to help Callinan stay with the net. ;-)

 The Classic was pretty well attended. The afternoon games drew a few hundred
 people, but there was no "official" count as one ticket was used for BOTH
 games. The evening attendance was around 6,000 each night, wh8ich is pretty
 good considering that it's Christmas break here.

 The Hockey-L gathering on Sunday afternoon was fun. In attendance were: Erik
 and Paula Biever, Pam Sweeney of Minnesota, her sister Lisa Sweeney of
 Cornell, and Gary Thomas of Arizona State. Some non-Hockey-L folks were in
 attendance also: Kathy Martin, Dale Thomas, and Dorothy Martin.

 The biggest surprise of the weekend was that Boston College went winless. It
 appeared that they had a lack of motivation. That was disappointing. BC also
 had the most coaches on the bench and all but head coach Ceglarski were in
 suits! One other peculiar note was that both BC and Providence dressed three
 goalies for the game in lieu of an 18th skater????  Is this normal for the
 eastern squads or just an odd coincidence?

 I'll type in a few more notes from the games tomorrow when I bring my
 newspapers in.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!