Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 1991 17:02:58 -0400
 Jim L. wrote:
 >....stuf deleted...(1983-84) UNH Media Guide that lists Minnesota's home-ice
 > as Williams Rink {should be Wms Arena}....How/Why/When did Williams become
 > Mariucci ??

 The entire building was known as Williams Arena for a long time. In the mid to
 late '80's it was decided to change the name of the hockey-rink-half to honor
 John Mariucci.  I would approximate the year of change to be 1985 or 1986.

 John Mariucci was known as "the Godfather of Minnesota hockey".  His basic
 tenet was that he believed in the American player.  He coached at Minnesota,
 but I believe that he went to college at MSU, because they offered him a
 scholarship. (Minnesota did not have any scholarships at the time he played
 evidently.)  I'll see what else I can find out about him and post it later.

 So, since that elusive date, the hockey Gophers have played in Mariucci Arena,
 and the Basketball Gophers continue to play in Williams Arena even though both
 are housed in one building, as it were.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!