Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1991 13:54:01 -0400
 Information taken from the Star Tribune this morning.

 A comment from Grant Bischoff who was chosen among the final 31 players: "I
 feel happy at having made the team, but I feel bad because some of the other
 Gophers didn't make it," he said. "There were so many good players here that I
 think if they kept the guys they cut together and they worked out, they might
 be just about as good as the ones they kept."

 Coach Dave Peterson was quoted as saying: "We have good speed, some toughness
 and a lot more experience on this team." He also stressed that the selection
 process is ongoing and that he might add a player at any time until the
 February games (thinking of LaFontaine perhaps?). He also chose experience
 whenever possible. Scott Fusco and Scott Gordon are both 28, Johannson is 27,
 and MacDonald, Quinn and Jensen are 25.

 Nine states produced the players---12 from Massachusetts, 6 from Minnesota,
 3 each from Michigan and Rhode Island, 2 each from New York and Connecticut,
 and one each from Wisconsin, Montana, and Missouri.

 The 1991-1992 Gophers really come out ahead on this.  Even though there are
 four extremely disappointed players, this gives the Gopher team a great
 advantage this season.  I understand that Woog was disappointed for those
 not chosen, but very upbeat for the coming season.  In fact his secretary
 teased him by saying that she had made their reservations to Albany for next
 April!! :-)

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!