Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 91 18:52:16 EDT
 Taken from info in the Star Tribune:

 The NORTH team scored four second-period goals, breaking open a tight game for
 a 6-1 rout of the EAST in Sunday's opening game of the round-robin Olympic
 Trials hockey tournament at the National Hockey Center in St. Cloud,
 Minnesota.

 The NORTH outshot the EAST 16-4 in the second period, getting goals from John
 Weisbrod, Mike Lappin, Corey Machanic, and Travis Richards for a 5-1 lead.
 Former Gopher Ken Gernander scored the EAST's only goal. The NORTH had a 40-20
 edge in total shots-on-goal.

 Several Minnesotans helped the SOUTH beat the WEST 8-5 in yesterday's second
 game. Craig Johnson, Bret Hedican and Chris Imes all scored second-period
 goals for the SOUTH, and Steve Magnusson got one in the third period.

 Ben Hankinson, another former Gopher, got one of the WEST's goals as did Chris
 Gotziaman. The trials continue with double headers on Tuesday and Wednesday.

 There was also a nice article on Dave Peterson in the paper today, the main
 jist of it being that the U.S. Olympic Committee is trying to change his
 image a bit.  They even sent him to a one-day seminar conducted by a New York
 City public relations firm to advise him on how not to be a jerk.  Evidently,
 Peterson did not score high marks with the press during his last go round as
 the 1988 Olympic coach and they want this to change. He also wants to work on
 having a more defensive team and not all offense. He was also repeatedly
 criticized for this last time.  I don't envy his job of selecting the best
 from the Fest. What a great group of truly talented hockey players!!  I regret
 that I won't be able to see any in person, but I will catch the final on my
 local cable station.  More news as it happens.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!