From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:18:50 -0400
Sean, thanks for mentioning the WorldTek package, it was a rude awakening
that NCAA hockey is not the little clique it has been over the past decade
or two.  As Sean indicates Worltek was limited in the number of tickets
available, in a 17,000 seat arena in 2002.  With tickets no longer a
guarantee it seems worldtek is taking advantage of their position.  In '98
a package to Anaheim, if I remeber correctly was $299 for tickets, 3 nights
hotel, a reception, t-shirts etc.  You could cancel without penalty by
December.  Which I unfortunately did, unfortunately because I am a Maine
fan!

This year the least expensive package for St. Paul for 3 nights stay and
tickets was $499 per person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Which means that if my wife
and I elected to go we would be paying a $1000!!!!  Of that the tickets are
$250, which means the cost of a hotel room being charged through WorldTek
was $250 per night!!! ( There was a $100 cancellation fee, which I do agree
with, because people could sign up and if they get tickets after the
lottery, they could cancel.)  That being said, while I'm not the world's
foremost authority on hotel rooms, in Boston that price is fairly accurate,
but in St. Paul, there is no way your spending $250 a night to stay at a
Holiday Inn Express (which was the choice) in April, NCAA tourney or not.

If anyone has used their services or signed up I'd be interested in your
comments.

Bob Fitta
Maine '83

P.S. The Hockey-L dinner in ALbany was a great success and thanks to Brian
Morris for his efforts.

<I stopped at the WorldTek table before the first semifinal and
another fan asked about the packages. One of the WorldTek reps
said the NCAA had allotted them a limited number of tickets for the
packages offered.  The rep further said that they had reserved 80
rooms, but it was likely that they would run out of tickets before all
the rooms were used.  I went by the table about 30 minutes before
the start of the second semifinal and the WorldTek reps were no
longer there.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager
Harvard Magazine