From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:22:54 -0500
If you're in Albany for just hockey, best bet is the Omni. It's in downtown Albany, a 1-2 minute walk from the Knick (er, Pepsi). There are restaurants and bars in downtown Albany (all within walking distance of both the Knick and the hotel). But, there isn't a whole lot more to do downtown.

The other (and IMHO better) alternative is to stay out in Albany's western suburbs. There are several hotels/motels on
Western Ave (US-20) in Guilderland, Central Ave (NY-5)
and Wolf Rd. in Colonie(the usual Holiday Inn, Best Western, Mariott etc).  There are numerous restaurants, bars and night spots as well as access to the local shopping malls.
But you'll need a car out there. Very little within walking distance although short rides via car. As far as getting down to the Knick from that area, I-90 east to I-787 south and you're in downtown Albany within 2 blocks of the Knick. Parking downtown in a pay lot shouldn't be a problem (and you won't get gouged for parking as you might in a larger city).
Street parking shouldn't be a problem on weekends. Travel time
from the suburbs to downtown is no more than 10-15 minutes.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.