From:
Robert Svec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:57:53 -0500
Jim wrote:

>>I truly hope that you are joking
>>the end of the baby boomers meant the end of giant enrollments all over the
>>country...Maine charges very high out of state rates and it is coming back to
>>bite them.
>>
>>the hockey affair should have meant the enrollment was down by, what
>>4...schoolwide... the number of scholarships lost.

Jim, I think you over estimated the impact of the hockey affair should have
meant the enrollment.  With the walk-ons, the drop was proably only half as
much as your estimate.

Greg Ambrose replied:

>#1, I was quoting from an article from the Boston Globe so, if there is
>"joking" going on, it's coming from the reporter and the people (including
>the President of the University) quoted in the article.  #2 A 25% + drop in
>enrollment in 8 years is obviously due to several factors, I think the
>article meant to depict that the hockey scandal is only on of many.  To
>imply that it is based just on demographics is ludicrous since, if that
>were the case, a lot of schools would be having the significant problems
>that UMaine is having.

To imply that it was more due to the hockey affair than to demographics is
asinine.  You haven't explained how the hockey affair reduced enrollment six
(6) years before there was a hockey affair.

>My advice Maine fans, don't be defensive, if Shawn is so great shout his
>attributes to the heavens.  If this is too much for you, then just keep
>quiet!

SHAWN, I LOVE YOU MAN!!!  THANK GOD YOU ARE STILL HERE AT MAINE!!!!  YOU ARE
A GREAT RECRUITER, A FANTASTIC COACH, A MOTIVATOR OF YOUNG MEN.  BOY, DO I
WISH I HAD A SON YOUNG ENOUGH TO PLAY FOR YOU!!

Is this what you had in mind greg?

Bob Svec

GO BLACK BEARS!!!  BEAT UNH!!!!!