From:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:13:04 -0500
Greg Berge said:

>That all having been said, I'd bet dollars to Canadian dollars that if you
>ranked D1 schools by incoming SAT means for first the overall undergraduate
>population and then the hockey-player cohort, you'd get very similar rank-
>orderings.  Maybe there would be an overall downward skew of X points, but
>there's no reason to think that it wouldn't be uniform across the range of
>all D1 programs.
>
>Except yours and mine, of course -- those being lilly white.

Greg is pretty much on the mark here.  I think they may be a few outliers
at any one time on both sides.  There are probably a couple of programs
that are getting the admissions office to let in inappropriate applicants
and they are not graduating at the same rate as the overall undergraduate
population.  There are also a probably a few schools where the hockey
players academic profile is better than the general undergraduate
population.

Steve Rockey

Steven Rockey
Director of the Mathematics Library