From:
Jason Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 01:58:07 -0400
At last year's championship, we sat next to a high school senior named Travis
Roy. He was a very smart, mature kid who had a single dream that would
shortly be fulfilled: to play hockey for BU. He had already committed, and
all throughout the game, while not saying anything about playing for BU in
the 95-96 season, I could see in his eyes that he was imagining himself out
on the ice. Travis didn't want to be out there for the fame, didn't want to
be there to help him go pro -- he just wanted to play for Boston U. Just
wanted to play hockey.

In his first game at BU's Walter Brown Arena, the season opener, Travis took
to the ice as a member of the second line, seconds after Chris O'Sullivan
poured in the first goal.

20 seconds into his shift wearing the red and white, freshman Travis Roy
played tough. After a solid shoulder check against the boards to an opposing
North Dakota player, Travis lost his balance -- not surprising, as it was a
good hit -- and as he fell to the ice, knocked his chin on the shelf above
the boards. This was enough to snap his head backward, severely damaging the
vertebrae in his neck. Play stopped for 30 minutes as he was examined, neck
stabilized, and removed on a board from the ice.

Shortly after the game I learned that if he's lucky (best-possible scenario),
Travis will be able to begin skating in approximately 9-12 months.
Unfortunately, the much more likely, and worst-case scenario is that Travis
will be paralyzed from this incident.

Last word I heard tonight was that even a near recovery is highly unlikely.
He goes in for surgery on Saturday or Sunday.

I ask all you Hockey-L'ers to save a place in your hearts, prayers, or
thoughts for Travis Roy. He can use whatever help we can give.