From:
Antony Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Antony Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 01:22:27 -0400

This is a follow-up to Arthur Berman's report on the BU-North Dakota game
-- specifically the injury to BU freshman Travis Roy.  My brother Rob (BU
'94) and I attended the game tonight to witness the banner-raising and
welcome the new college hockey season (I can't believe I still have to
wait two more weeks to see the Crimson!), but our celebration was sobered
by the serious injury to Roy.  Soon after the Terrier's first goal, Roy
lined up a Sioux defenseman for a hit in the corner.  The intended
recipient (I forgot his name) was able to slip away and, as a result, Roy
lost his balance and ploughed head-first into the boards.  The BU forward
lay motionless on the ice while he was tended to and an ambulance was
called.  The game was delayed for about 17 minutes until they were able
to wheel him off the ice.  The diagnosis, according to a post-game
statement made on WABU by the doctor who treated Roy, was a broken fourth
vertebra resulting in complete paralysis from the neck down.  The doctor
said that it would take time to determine the extent of recovery possible
and that surgery is a certainty.  Travis Roy is listed in serious but
stable condition at Boston City Hospital. Our prayers are with him.

Tony