From:
"Arthur C. Mintz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur C. Mintz
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:17:04 -0400
Wayne Smith asked ...

>Quiz:
>
>* What happens when a player from each teams gets a double minor?
>
>* What happens when 2 players from each team get a minor?

By rule 4-2.e, since in neither of these cases is one minor penalty
assessed to one player of each team, the penalties will NOT be served
"without substitution", i.e., they will be served WITH substitution, i.e.,
manpower levels remain as they were before the penalties were called. The
penalized players remain in the penalty box until the first stoppage in
play after their penalty time elapses.

There is a circumstance, which occurred at least once in the past couple of
years in a game Cornell was involved with (or possibly at a tournament
Cornell was involved in but not a game Cornell was playing, I'm not quite
sure), in which this rule was interpreted in a manner which resulted in
penalties which had already been called and posted on the clock being taken
off. To wit ...

With both teams at full strength, referee calls a minor penalty on one
player from each team. The players go to the box, the penalties are posted
on the scoreboard, the teams get ready to resume play one player short. But
before the puck can be dropped to resume play, the referee calls a minor
penalty on one additional player. Since all three penalties are interpreted
to have occurred "at the same stoppage of play", and since the situation is
no longer "one minor penalty assessed to one player of each team", the
situation was no longer covered by 4-2.e, but by other paragraphs of the
rules covering coincidental minors. The two penalties already on the board
were taken down, the third penalty was put on the board, and play resumed
with a 6-on-5 power play.

Arthur C. Mintz          [log in to unmask]          (607) 255-1487
Manager, Development and Enhancements
Cornell Information Technologies /
     Administrative Systems & Distributed Technologies

"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is short, simple, and
wrong." - H. L. Mencken