From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:32:07 -0400
I will try not to flame (no guarantees!!).  Let's take a look at your
proposal and what it means.

You will take a school like RPI (one of only 3 of the current ECAC teams to
have ever won a national championship) and relegate them to division 3
because RPI (like Clarkson) is division 3 in all other sports.  As I think
you will agree, placing a team in division 3 will automatically make them a
division 3 team.  The scholarships go away, the better players with
aspirations of going pro will no longer look to schools like RPI or Clarkson
because the route to the NHL becomes much more dubious when you play
division 3. You could be a great division 3 player but, frankly, who's
watching.

Ever been to the Field House when RPI plays Cornell?  It's probably like a
Clarkson-SLU games except that the Field House holds 5000+.  How many fans
do you think we'd see at a match up between RPI and SUNY-Potsdam?

Yes, it's been a long time since RPI has been in the national spotlight.
But you don't have to go back too many years in ECAC history to see how
topsy turvy it can get.  Exclude Cornell who always manages to skate near
the top and Harvard who usually (but not always ) is up there and you will
see that up until this decade, Brown, Dartmouth,Princeton and Yale were
notorious bottom dwellers.

BC in division 1?  Makes sense.  Remember when BC won the title in 2001 in
Albany?  It was the first time they won the title since 1949.

So let's go with your idea of the new paradigm.  The perennial powerhouses
get bigger and the non-division 1 schools go away.  You've just destroyed
the hockey programs at 24 schools (58 current teams less the 34 left after
your purge).

The next question is obvious.  Why?  What evidence do you have that by
eliminating the smaller schools, that hockey will, all of a sudden, become a
national sport?  Been following the TV ratings for the NHL lately?  Look
like they're blooming into a national sport in the US?

And what do you have left?  You used BC - Michigan as an example.  What
about North Dakota, Miami, Bowling Green (I can name a dozen others)? Are
these schools that have national sports recognition?  No offense to the
Fighting ex-Sioux, but who in the world has ever heard of North Dakota
unless they're already a hockey fan?

And one last item.  Let's just suppose that you're right.  Let's suppose
that thinning the herd works and all of a sudden there's a TV contract and
overwhelming success for college hockey.  What happens then?  NC$$ steps in
and raises the ticket prices so that only the rich can afford them?  The
money in college hockey gets so overwhelming that the inevitable corruption
follows, graduation rates drop as the world's top hockey players go to
college for the sole purpose of being noticed on their way to the NHL?
Pretty soon, we'll have have another BASKETBALL.

The moral of my story is, be careful what you wish for!!!

(See how good I was.  I never even mentioned that RPI has won two national
titles, but Clarkson hasn't won any ;-)