Date:
Sat, 29 Feb 1992 12:31:38 -0500
UWSP beat Mankato State Friday night in the first of two games to decide the
NCHA tournament championship and gain an automatic bid to the NCAA III
National tournament.

        Mankato         0       1       1         2
        UWSP            1       1       4         6

This was a fine hockey game through two periods.  Point was playing at peak
form and Mankato wasn't far behind.  Both of Mankato State's goals came on
power plays, as did one of Point's.  However, Point got 4 quick goals in the
middle portion of the third period to go up 6-1 and ice the game.  There were
numerous penalties and power plays in the third period, and many of the
penalties were of the "touch" kind - things that many times are let go.  I
suspect with so much on the line, especially for Mankato State, the refs were
determined not to let it get too chippy towards the end.  To my mind, it
spoiled the hockey a little.

I won't crow too soon.  Last weekend Mankato went to Superior and after losing
7-1 on Friday came back for a 4-2 win and a 1-0 win in the minigame.  IMHO
that alone qualifies Mankato State for a National tournament bid, but you know
they want the win here in the worst way.  And this will likely be the last
meeting between the two teams as MS is moving to Division I next year.

Tom Rowe                      INTERNET:
UWSP Dept. of Psychology      [log in to unmask]
Stevens Point, WI  54481      *****************************
341-3084                      I am in the prime of senility