From:
Craig Cheslog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1992 14:16:50 -0500
The ECAC just announced the ECAC quarterfinal pairings. Right now, I can say
that #5 Bowdoin will travel to #4 Babson on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. I will post
the rest of the ECAC playoff picture after I receive the official announcement
later today.

But, this was an interesting weekend for the Polar Bears. They needed one win
to ensure themselves the #5 seed, and got it Friday night against Babson.
Torey Lomenda scored two goals and Darren Hersh played well in goal to
lead Bowdoin to the 4-3 victory.

Then on Saturday, the Polar Bears knew that they were faced with what was
essentially a meaningless game against St. Anselm and played it exactly that
way and lost 6-4. Quite simply, Bowdoin did not deserve to be even this close
to the Hawks. No spark, no win, and for the second year in a row Bowdoin closes
out the regular season with a road loss at St. Anselm, despite the first career
hat trick by Derek Richard.

Bowdoin coming into this weekend had killed off 85 of 95 power plays this
season, then this weekend proceeded to let Babson and St. Anselm combine to
go 5-for-5 with a man advantage. Bowdoin also went 4-6 on the power play.
Not the way I would like to go into the playoffs.

GAME SUMMARIES:
Friday, February 29, 1992
at Babson Recreation Center, Babson Park, Massachusetts

BOWDOIN (15-8)		3    1    0   -   4
BABSON (15-4-3)		2    1    0   -   3

FIRST PERIOD
Bow - Joe Gaffney (Charlie Gaffney, Peter Kravchuk) 1:09
Bab - Mark Herlihy (unassisted) 4:51 (pp)
Bow - Torey Lomenda (Joe Gaffney) 8:47
Bow - Torey Lomenda (Jim Klapman) 15:54 (pp)
Bab - Kevin Gosciak (Dave Doherty) 17:19

	PENALTIES:
	Bow - Marcello Gentile (hooking) 3:52
	Bab - Mark Lashar (hitting from behind) 15:12

SECOND PERIOD
Bow - Steve Kashian (Jim Klapman) 9:08 (pp)
Bab - Mark Savaria (Rob Tobin, Dave Woodward) 12:21 (pp)

	PENALTIES:
	Bab - Dan Pompeo (hooking) 7:44
	Bow - Bobby Matthews (holding) 10:27

THIRD PERIOD
NO SCORING

	PENALTIES:
	Bow - Torey Lomenda (roughing) 1:07
	Bab - Mark Lashar (roughing) 1:07
	Bab - Mark Lashar (tripping) 5:30

SHOTS ON GOAL:
Bowdoin    13     6    10   =   29
Babson      9    21     4   =   34

SAVES: Bowdoin, Darren Hersh 31. Babson, Mark Kuriyak 25.\
POWER PLAY: Bowdoin 2 for 3; Babson 2 for 2.

February 29, 1992
at West Side Ice Arena, Manchester, N.H.

BOWDOIN	(15-9)		1    2    1   -   4
ST. ANSELM (8-13-3)	2    1    3   -   6

FIRST PERIOD
SA - Chris DeFeo (Steve Puzyn, Bill DiBuono) 5:43 (pp)
SA - Todd Witwer (Tom Menicci, Jeff Roberts) 9:05
B - Derek Richard (Steve Kashian) 18:20 (pp)

	PENALTIES:
	B - Jim Klapman (cross-checking) 3:45
	SA - Sean Rielly (tripi
	SA - Sean Rielly (tripping) 16:24
	SA - Jeff Roberts (hooking) 19:14

SECOND PERIOD
B - Derek Richard (Steve Kashian, Paul Croteau) 9:33
SA - Steve Puzyn (Tom Menicci) 14:53
B - Joe Gaffney (Tim Bourgeois) 18:39

	PENALTIES:
	SA - Tom Menicci (hooking) 1:29
	B - Derek Richard (roughing) 5:50
	SA - Steve Puzyn (roughing) 5:50
	B - Mike Kahler (cross-checking) 19:52
	SA - Scott DeFeo (hooking) 19:52

THIRD PERIOD
SA - Glen Witwer (Eric Lindberg) 6:37 (pp)
SA - Eric Lindberg (Todd Witwer, Glen Witwer) 11:59
B - Derek Richard (Steve Kashian) 14:44 (pp)
SA - Scott Paquette (Tom Menicci, Scott DeFeo) 19:31 (pp, empty net)

	PENALTIES:
	B - Paul Croteau (hooking) 6:37
	SA - Glen Witwer (hooking) 13:04
	B - Marcello Gentile (slashing) 17:45
	B - Tim O'Sullivan (roughing) 19:52
	SA - Doug Ward (elbowing) 19:52

SHOTS ON GOAL:
Bowdoin     11   14    9   =   34
St. Anselm  10    3   10   =   23

SAVES: Bowdoin, Tom Sablak 17. St. Anselm, Jim Mill 30.
POWER PLAY: Bowdoin, 2 for 4, St. Anselm, 3 for 3.

Craig Cheslog
Bowdoin '93
GO U BEARS -- BEAT BABSON!