From:
"Hampton, Nathan E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:38:36 -0600
(1) Thanks Wayne for getting our juices flowing.
(2) For "Seems the ruling is inconsistent with the end of a game determining when a goal is scored. "

Less inconsistency than you might think. If the college rule is based on the professional rule, icing is not called in the pro game until the puck is actually touched by an opposing player. It is the fact of contact that matters, just as the fact of the whole puck crossing the goal line matters for a goal, so that in neither case in the pro game does the time of the shot matter. For the college/international game, the modified rule gave them the choice of when the puck crosses the line (for when icing is actually called) versus when it is not icing due to being shorthanded, and thus the intent of the shooter matters so it is his timing of the shot that determines whether icing is called, which makes sense to me.

Nathan