EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:55:45 -0800
You have a point there, but the discussion began with Virgo made male in
mediaeval latinity.  Virginity is prized in the selection of a wife.
 After the first sex act with her, she's not a virgin anymore, and
fidelity takes over.  You can't have both at once.

Male sexual inexperience was never prized in the Occident before the
Christian Church took over, and even then only in context of the church.
 The English equivalent to virgin is maiden.  A inexperienced male was
considered a boy, not a virgin.

I would agree that domination, control, possessiveness (I think
possessiveness more than the other two -- no different in men than in
women, except that men have historically maintained more power) are
definitely a large part of things, but I think that the view of women as
property themselves is a later development than concern with property
per se and the transmission of property to offspring -- children being a
sort of after life.

Could definitely be wrong about it, though.

As for the killin' of the cheatin' other, in France either party doin'
the killin' gets a break for an act of passion.  The ol' boys in Texas
are just insecure about the size of their own sexual organs.