EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tom White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:20:30 -0600
The lines below from Charles Moyer are great. I rather object to the crude
depiction of Pound as "pagan." He was way beyond that. He was in the company
of the great souls (Dante, Shakespeare, even Whitman) who never denigrate
real religion, while often disassociating themselves from the crudity and
ignorance (and frequent evils) of the priest class. Pound was himself
profoundly a true "priest" of the Truth, of the esoteric church Weston is
talking about. Someone on this list has suggested that truth, capitalized or
not, is rather passé. In my view that is a tired, passé opinion of people
who have been too long anchored in degenerate modernism.)  As all such great
people Pound suffered for his stance. Whitman was alone and disdained at the
end, Pound was wracked, then alone, then disdained at the end by a world
which had roared past him. The model for all these people was the Christus,
although many of them wanted to deny it because by, say, 1910 (the year
Joyce completed Portrait); the whole exoteric Church was pretty awful in a
lot of places, the unknown saints always excepted. Could go on but won't.
Tom White