EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 06:50:33 -0500
    Apparently most of those places which tried out the Marx program are
coming to that same conclusion. At least Karl's ideas got tried no matter
how badly. As for Pound's that seems to be a different story somewhat like
the charges against him for treason- no trial there either, but dismissal as
a "nut" in both cases.
    Ironically not only is the subject of freedom of speech relevant here
but one might want to remember that the Constitution charges the
legislature with the responsibility of we Amuricans money-
    "Congress shall have, etc." but does not say "hand over that duty and
responsibility to bankers". This might still be a subject for discussion if
other matters  such as the innocence of pickled foetuses didn't predominate
our national debates.
    No sense going over the whole history of the rise of the people to self
rule as Gold has played first fiddle throughout this concert employing
liberal and democratic ideologies for its sheet music.
    As for Marx perhaps he and Pound might have shared more sentiments than
the latter realized. Here's Marx from his 1844 "Deutsche-franzosiche
Jahrbucher" even then realizing that the trafficking with money and usury,
activities which once were ghetto-bound, now had invaded the new
civilization;

    "What are the mundane principles of Judaism? Practical necessity and the
pursuit of one's own advantage. What is its earthly god? Money. The Jew has
emancipated himself in a typically Jewish fashion not only in that he has
taken control of the power of money, but also in that through him, money has
become a world power and the practical Jewish spirit has become the spirit
of the Christian people. The Jews have emancipated themselves insofar as the
Christians have become Jews.(also Nietzsche's observation) The god of the
Jews has become secularized and has become the god of the earth. The
exchange is the true god of the Jews."

    How well this plays in orchestra with Protestant Puritanism (especially
Calvinism), Americanism, and capitalism must be indicative of some
universality.
    The proletarian ideal of a universal and communist civilization just
didn't seem to be a tune catchy enough to dominate the repertoire, but
Ginsberg pointed out he liked the garbanzo beans served at the meetings. And
now Mencken chimes in, "But this combat between proletariat and plutocracy
is, after all, itself a civil war. Two inferiorities struggle for the
privilege of polluting the world." One of them seems to be winning the
contest.
    Back to the innocent zygotes and the tax-free peddling of original sin.

Charles