EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Temur Kobakhidze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:54:58 +0400
Jeffery Donaldson wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>         Here's yet another reference to Pound in Northrop Frye's book on Eliot
> that I would be grateful for a lead on:
>
>         "As Ezra Pound says, poetry provides equations, like mathematics, but
> equations for emotions."
>
> Many thanks for any help,
>
>         Jeffery Donaldson

Dear Jeffry:

That's exactly what TSE calls "objective correlative", i.e. the formula
of emotion expressed in verse. See Eliot's earlier criticism,
"Hamlet....", "The Metaphysical...", "Shakespeare and the Stoicism...".

A very complicated issue though-- The forefather of the idea must be
T.E.Hulme rather than EP.

All the best,

Temur