EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:28:10 -0400
Craig,

The Carpenter biography was enthusiastically reviewed by Jerry McGann
and others, but there are many of us who still await an authoritative
life. Many of Carpenter's opinions come second- or third-hand, and he
shows no ability to respond to Pound's writing (particularly the poetry)
in any vital way. By a "vital" response I don't necessarily mean
"positive," so much as a response that shows some sensitivity to the
differences between a poem and a newspaper editorial. We've talked about
Carpenter on this list several times before. At this point we're all
waiting for Tim Redman's new biography.

Cheers,

Michael Coyle
Colgate University