EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Peter Bi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:59:12 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Pawel Karwowski <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 4:12 AM
Subject: Re: Give us an interpretation of Pound's Poetry (please)

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, En Lin Wei wrote:
>
> Pawel
> >Peter Bi said
> > >about year ago on this list that Pounds poetry is much more "chinese"
than
> > >contemporary Chinese Poetry.
> > >
> Wei:
> > Some educated English speaking Chinese say things like this, and without
any
> > affront to Peter Bi, who I do not know well, I must comment.   Some
English
> > speaking French will say Swinburne is more "French" than Baudelaire; and
> > many 19th century Americans said the Czech composer Dvorak's New World
> > symphony was more American than any piece written by any US composer in
the
> > US.   I am not sure if any conclusion can be drawn from such statements.

Pawel and Wei:

FYI,

I think I don't belong to the group of "educated English speaking Chinese",
or educated Chinese, whatever. I am basically the same as the other peasants
in my nowhere home town.  By the way, it would make me more comfortable if
we say "English speaking (e.g.) Canadian" or "A Canadian learns English",
but not "educated English speaking Canadian."

Peter Bi