EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:44:45 -0800
Well, Mr. Stoner, I'm not sure why you bother.  After "not stud[ying] a
lot of Pound", you've "sw[u]m every inch of the ocean bottom."  Do you
mean that you haven't actually read the Cantos?  Or do you mean that,
although you've read the Cantos, through which you've covered every inch
of the ocean bottom, you haven't studied Pound much?  Well, your imagery
definitely confuses me.

But, what I mean, Mr. Stoner, is: why do you bother if you don't like
Pound?  He (i.e., Pound) has asked, "Gentlemen, the question is, 'Are
these verses worth reading'".  You've answered, for yourself, "no".  So
why bother?

I, on the other hand, can remember the first time I picked up the Cantos
and read, "And then went down to the ship....".  Possibly I was
fortunate to have read the Odyssey (in translation) and not to have
previously heard of Pound.  My appreciation for Pound starts right there
at Canto I.  And from there, it multiplies, and grows, e lo soleil
plovil.  By this inclusion, I don't mean to exclude his other poetry.

If you don't like it, why bother?

Me no academic.  Me computer nerd.  Me wear cowboy hat. Me don't own
car.  Me politically (very) left wing.  Me work for bank.

But I have loved Ezra Pound from the moment I encountered him.  If
you're looking for something other than what Ol' Ez offers, you would
probably be spending your time more wisely to look elsewhere.  Maybe
you'd be happier with "Plato, Emerson, and folks like them"...
interesting that you should note two philosophers and not two poets
(unless you are regarding Plato's prose as poetry and Emerson's poetry
as greater than Pounds?) as "richer" than Pound.

Regarding this list:  It seems to me pretty much of a waste of time.
Haven't learned much, if anything, about Pound's poetry here.  Lot of
talk about his politics and elitism and such topics.  For the most part,
it isn't even on a par with one of the typical television talk shows
that I've seen once or twice but don't watch.  Yet I subscribe to this
list because it's the only place I ever encounter Pound as a subject at
all, outside of books.  And, well, I'll put up with a lot of B.S. just
to hear the subject raised.

On the other hand, it was once important to me that others appreciate
Pound.  Then I discovered that most people don't appreciate any poetry
at all, unless you mean to include pop lyrics.  So, what difference does
it make to me whether you like Pound's poetry or not?  If you read any
"serious" poetry at all, you're my brother.  And my advice to you,
brother, is that if you don't like Pound, you shouldn't read him.

Hell, I still read Swinburne -- very rare taste these days.  Individuals
have been upset with me at times for reading Swinburne.  Somehow the
fact that I appreciate his weird music bothers some people.  But this
says more about them than it does about me or Swinburne.  They must feel
very insecure in their tastes to feel challenged by a poet that isn't
even in print anymore except in selections.  Do I detect an echo of this
in your relationship to people reading Pound?