EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:58:15 -0800
I'm sure that most people on this list are way ahead of me on these
releases, and that my notice is redundant, but thought I should note
them just in case someone on the list doesn't already know about them:

Arthur Golding's translation of the Metamorphosis has finally been
re-published (in March of 2000 - apologies for my procrastination of
telling the list), by Paul Dry Books
http://www.pauldrybooks.com/complete_catalog/index.html.  It's a
newly-edited and typeset edition, rather than the badly-done, nearly
unreadable photo reduction that Norton did in 1967.  The editor, John
Frederick Nims, is extremely critical of Pound's promotion of the work.
Nims misses the point.  Although his criticisms are in the main true, he
fails to understand what were likely Pound's motives for making his
superlative statements regarding the work, particularly in ABC of
Reading.

Also, there is a recording of Pound's music called "Ego Scriptor
Cantilenae, The Music of Ezra Pound", which was due to come out this
fall but has been delayed to "January or February", according to an
"Other Minds" (the publisher) staffer at the viewing in San Francisco of
"The Bad Boy of Music", a documentary film about George Antheil.  The
Antheil documentary, by the way, includes footage of the 1923 Antheil
Paris concert riot, where Pound can be briefly seen in an animated
state.

Pounds music:  http://www.otherminds.org/shtml/Poundcd.shtml

Antheil Documentary http://www.otherminds.org/html/Antheil.html

Dirk Johnson