EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Ian Kluge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:44:33 -0700
Re Jonathon Gill's post below:

Does "YIDDERY" translate into individual Jews - or is it Pound's symbol for
the financial/ideological system which he opposes?

If "YIDDERY" translates into individual Jews, then "wipe out" would
certainly indicate action against Jews as individuals although the precise
nature of such a 'wiping out' might yet have to be determined. Pound,
*might*, in fact, be espousing an exterminationist anti-Semitism.

However, if "YIDDERY" is a symbol for what Pound thinks is a noxious
financial system or culture, then we have no more than a strong antipathy
towards that system an a particular culure, but no criminal or
exterminationist intent against individual Jews.

Although I am only an amateur Poundian, I have never seen any evidence that
necessitates the first conclusion, i.e. that Pound harbored criminal or
exterminationist intent against individuals. His later friendship with
Ginsburg gives reason to doubt that.

Is there any unequivocal evidence that forces us to translate "YIDDERY" into
'individual Jews' and thus accept the grim reality of Pound's criminal
and/or exterminationist views?

Best wishes,

Ian Kluge