EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:01:12 -0500
Daniel Pearlman wrote:

> I'd guess that the best poets don't concern themselves much with
> alluding to current events in their poetry.
> ==Dan

And lest it pass with the day's news
Thrown out with the daily paper, . . .
        Canto xxviii

  P. What? like Sir _Richard_, rumbling, rough and fierce,
With ARMS, and GEORGE, and BRUNSWICK crowd the Verse?
Rend with tremendous Sound your ears asunder,
With Gun, Drum, Trumpet, Blunderbuss & Thunder?
Or nobly wild, with _Budgell_'s_ Fire and Force,
Paint Angels trembling round his _falling Horse_?
  F. Then all your Muse's softer Art display,
Let _Carolina_ smooth the tuneful Lay,
Lull with _Amelia_'s liquid Name the Nine,
And sweetly flow through all the Royal Line.
        Pope, Sat. II.i 23-32