EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:12:52 PDT
Charles Moyer wrote,

<<Wei,
    If you  take the ideogram T'ai 4, "big" and take off that little
tear-drop pecker stroke, you get Ta4 "man", then put him in a box, you get
Yin1 "argument". That is brilliant, isn't it? How did it get from "prison"
to "argument"? Just like with Pound,  eh? Some of us keep pulling him out of
the box to show a man, and you keep putting him back in. LOL

I hope you don't mind if I point out that these are not the right
definitions of those particular ideograms.  You can look them up, or I can
define them for you if you like.  See Terrell's index, or Matthew's Chinese
Dictionary (one that Pound used).

As regards the the last point.  We might just as easily say it was Pound who
put himself in a box, by choosing his particular political allegiances.
Incidentally he uses the ideogram En1 in the Pisan Cantos (which happens to
be same "en" as the one in Wei En Lin), which is a picture of a man in a box
-- or "prison" -- with a heart underneath.  It means "mercy".

Looking at our discussion from the broadest possible perspective, your point
is probably right.  Maybe we should all take ourselves out of the box, what
ever that might mean, and show each other "En1"  (which can also mean
"compassion").

Regards,

Wei