EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Leon Surette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:54:50 -0500
Here is another post on the Little Review Calendar and the Pound Era. Wayne
Pounds has asked me to forward it. It settles the question, I think:

I send you this directly rather than to p-list, as I
have withdrawn from the list temporarily and so cannot
send mail to it. You may post it, if you choose.

To answer the question about Little Review and the P
Era, I quote a paragraph from an essay i just finished
called "Annus 1 Post Scriptum Ulixes, First Year of
the Pound Era." I think this essay will appear in an
Italian publication by midyear. Here's the paragraph,
which is part of a chronology for 1922 within the
essay. (The calendar itself is in vol. IV p.220 of
EP's Poetry and Prose.)

Jan. 24  Pound to Eliot, 24 Saturnus, An 1 p.s.U.
     This letter is one of the key documents to
understanding 1922. It speaks confidently of the
success of Pound's caesarian operation on Eliot's poem
(first handed to him by the author the previous
November), suggesting he is finding the formal keys to
bring off his own long poem. The confidence is
manifest in a more striking way, in a half-playful
deeply serious new-age calendar reform. "p.s.U."
abbreviates post scriptum Ulixes, the first year after
the writing of Ulysses (his "Paris Letter" in the Dial
for June began quoting Homer in Greek: "All men should
'Unite to give praise to Ulysses.'")  Joyce's book,
with perfect syncronicity, had been completed on
Pound's birthday the year before--October 30th, the
Feast of Zagreus. The playfulness is that of Dada, for
the calendar appeared in the Spring 1922 issue of the
Little Review, a Dada number dedicated to Picabia.

Wayne

Leon Surette
English Dept.
University of Western Ontario