EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Leon Surette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:02:21 -0500
Seamus Cooney sent me the following helpful note on the Pound Era:

You wrote: "Jonathan Morse asked about Pound's announcement
that the Christian era was over. That announcement is well known, but
for the life of me I can't recall--or locate--the specific place or
time. My fuzzy old brain thinks it was published in the LITTLE REVIEW,
but earlier than 1922."

Not sure if this is helpful, but  ...

In one of Pound's 1951 letters to Wyndham Lewis about _Rude
Assignment_, he remarks of Joyce's _Ulysses_, "Book had to be PUT
over, fer practical reason/ but cert/ I sd/ it was an END not a start/
P.S.U. after that FINISH/ period of rot, p.t.c what he may have
absorbed later ..." [quoted from BLAST 3 [1984], 165]. Bryant Knox's
note to this passage reads: "In the Spring 1922 isse of _The Little
Review_, Pound marked 'the end of the Christian era' and proclaimed
the birth of a new pagan period, 'YEAR 1 p.s.U' (post scriptum _Ulysses_,
presumably).... 'P.t.c' is unexplained."

(I guessed "post tempore Christi" for the "p.t.c.")

_
Seamus Cooney, Department of English, Western Michigan University
1201 Oliver Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49008 Ph (616)387-2560
http://www.wmich.edu/english/fac/Cooney.html

Leon Surette
English Dept.
University of Western Ontario