EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:20:21 -0800
Well put.  And Dirceu Villa's statement clarifies my dislike of the word
"elitist" when used in re poetry.  The word is either meaningless or
incorrect.  A "language elite" is a construct, a fabrication.  An
economic elite is a reality -- it's what determines the availability to
the culture of its own treasures.  You can call these treasures "elite"
if you want to, but I really don't think it has any meaning to do so.
It merely smacks of snobbery to me -- and what I mean by a snob is
someone who aspires to be among the "elite" -- read "economic elite" --
but isn't.  We can say, "oh, well, there are the very rich, but they're
not the "real" elite.  The "real" elite are the great poets and those
who admire them."

On the other hand, this could be a re-casting of the Adams/Jefferson
debate regarding aristocracy... but in that case, why not just stick
with the word "aristocracy" and remove the slippery and misleading word
"elite"?