EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 07:39:59 -0400
I'll second Dan's comment re Stephen's suggestion.

Do we have _two_ "green worlds" here -- the green world of grass-blades,
pine trees, insects, pools, streams, the sea, emerald eyes, and the
paraclete, versus the US Army's "olive drab"?  The following lines would
then be caustic and full of  bitterness and sarcasm:

    Pull down the vanity,
                                            Paquin pull down!
    The green casque has outdone your elegance.

I must admit, my reading of this passage has been colored by the tone of
voice in which Pound recites these lines, in which the sarcastic tone,
characteristic of other ironic/satiric passages in the Cantos, is entirely
absent, or at least my ear is not picking it up here.

Tim Romano