EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 06:19:45 GMT
Pawel wrote:

<<I dont see the possibility Wei, that if on that same discussion group meet
lets say two 60 years old professors, and one of them represents "northern
type of communication" and the other "eastern type" (that can be
characterised as enourmosly open and first of all - verbal) and the first
see a discussion list as a quiet forum, where he can always from time to
time send a letter and people know him and for the second the unlimited
freedom of speech is a basic human priviledge and basic low, I dont see Wei
any other possibility for futher development of such a relations as a
SERIOUS CONFLICT.>>

I appreciate the sentiments you expressed in your post.  As to the
possibility of SERIOUS conflict arising, I see nothing wrong with serious
conflict, or conflict of any kind.  Conflict is a normal part of human
existence.  The trick I think is to learn to engage in conflict, and to
express disagreement without falling into rancour.

Most important is the task of learning from differing perspectives, and
deepening ones understanding of the subjects under discussion.

The nature of any unmoderated listserv entails an absolute and virtually
unlimited freedom of expression.  I believe anyone who participates in such
a list understands this.  If they want simpy to exchange mail with people
they know, and only from those people, they usually set up their own private
lists, or exchange private e-mails.

---Wei