EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Jonathan P. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:27:36 -0400
Re Black Nanny--

I don't recall any black nanny in Idaho--I think the reference is
figurative, as in "I was riz among niggas."     Although there was a black
cook in New York, right?

The point seems to be that Pound considered Black English some kind of
ur-American language.  As in "doan yu tell no one..."

Eliot and Stein also do this kind of thing.  Michael North's book on this
is terrific.

See my "ABC of Po'try," forthcoming in Paideuma.

Jonathan Gill
Columbia University