ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Nonni Daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:29:45 -0400
To subscribers on the list:
        Sarah Dubay, who works in the hockey office, read Dan Doucette's
posting of the address at UCLA and asked me to post this to the List.
Please take her words to heart.  I have spoke with Shawn and know that
she expresses his feelings perfectly.  It should have been obvious to
Dan that Shawn was trying to keep this private.

I typically do not repsond to the messages on the Maine Hockey List,
but this time I feel it is a necessity.

I am Shawn Walsh's administrative assistant and I guess I should have
done this before.  I know that there are several fans that care greatly
about Coach and are very concerned about his well-being as I do myself.
 But, I do think people need to remember that this is his life.
Although, he is a public figure, there are things that we all wish we
could keep private.  And this is one of those things Coach would like
to deal with on his own.

He did not want anyone to know where he was staying for either of his
treatments because he really needs to focus on his health.  The
treatment in California is very aggressive and that is where his energy
needs to be placed.  He does not want any outside distractions even
though  those distractions might have him in the best of interests.
The last thing he said to me was to tell people the best thing they
could do for him was to leave him alone.  I beg you not to mail
anything to the UCLA address.  We all want him to be on the bench for
North Dakota - and this is how we can help!

If people do want to send him cards (he has asked for no flowers), they
may be sent at his request to:

        Maine Hockey
        5701 Alfond Arena
        Orono, ME 04469-5701

He will read all cards and well-wishes as he feels up to it....as fans,
we have always handled to crowds and the cheering, and as always, we
need to let Coach handle the game...