EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Edmunds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:43:40 -0500
Real Unreal and Realer etc.

It's not clear that ejournals are cheaper or ebooks for that matter.  While
the open source journal is finding its place,  the traditional journal
publishers still maintain a lock down on refereed  activities particularly
in the sciences.  The pricing for these e-publications is more expensive
for larger institutions than the paper.  (Another way to look at that is to
say the larger places had an advantage in the past times paper
medium.)  The costing tends to be made in terms of head count for
e-materials. Even with consortiums larger places find library budgets
strained with e-costs.  I am told that the situation of "free access" is
precarious with corporate control of information ever looming.  I for one
don't believe that Google's or MS's digitalization plans for out of and in
copyright materials include free access.  Launch a browser now from a
non-unversity server and see how far you get with many of the academic sources.

Anyway it would seem that Poundians and McLuhanians might converge on the
goal of down with the dialectic and up with the ideogramic.

" The American mind is not even close to being amenable to the ideogram
principle as yet. The reason is simply this. America is 100% 18th Century.
The 18th century had chucked out the principle of metaphor and analogy —
the basic fact that as A is to B so is C to D. AB:CD. It can see AB
relations. But relations in four terms are still verboten. This amounts to
deep occultation of nearly all human thought for the U.S.A."

McLuhan to Pound Dec., 1948