ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:00:44 -0800
--- Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> What kind of effect will this have on the pool of talent colleges can
> draw
> from?  I wonder if the NCAA website has anything on it...

An example of a good aspect is that under this proposal Maine could go out
and recruit Major Junior hockey players to come to UM and compete, so in
that sense it increases the talent pool.

The catch is that you are charged a year of eligibility for any year you
compete (at any level) after you graduate high school.  You want to play
prep hockey?  It'll cost you one year.  Want to play Juniors, same deal it
will cost you a year.

There is a push by some to get some exemptions for hockey, like juniors
and prep players, but if that doesn't happen this will drastically change
the college game.  You'll see more players coming in for just a year or
two and it may bring the talent level of the game down some as players
will not have the time to develop in other leagues/levels before coming to
college.  Or another possibility is that Major Junior players will start
dominating the league and take away opportunities that other players may
have had because they are not ready.  Not to mention what it will do to
graduation rates.

I'm personally hoping that those involved with hockey and the NCAA do
succeed in gaining some of the exemptions they desire because hockey does
have special circumstances that basketball and football do not.

-Deron