ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:47:54 -0800
--- "Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> We can say fairly confidently that Maine will get a bid to the NCAAs.

I agree with this.  Maine is now #4 in the PWR and is actually tied in
comparisons won with UNH.  Should Maine sweep Providence and Merrimack
take a game from UNH, Maine might be on their way to a #1 East seed.
However, Wayne is right that there is a lot of hockey to be played.

Bottom line is this:  If you want to stay out east and get a bye, win the
HE Tournament and make the decision easy.

> IMHO, Maine doesn't necessarily have to win the HEA tournament to get an
> NCAA bye, but may have to play in the Championship game to have a chance
> for one.

This will depend on what St. Lawrence, BU and UNH all do before that point
too.  If one (or God forbid 2) fall out in the quarterfinals, Maine's job
may be easier.

But, we proved last year you don't need to have a bye to win the prize.

> {snip}If this was a Worcester regional one might be fairly confident
> that
> an expected large Maine fan turnout would keep Maine in the East
> regional,
> but I don't think that's true of a regional in Albany.

While I agree with Wayne, it was very surprising that with no BU in the
tournament last year that BC got shipped out west.  BC deserved that trip
however, so that much was good to see.  It isn't always about the
attendance.

While every game is hard in the NCAA's, Maine would do better potentially
out East.  If you figure Maine is no worse than a #3 seed, Maine might
have to play Minnesota in their own building as the #6 seed in the West
Regional potentially.  The west also means having to go through either
North Dakota or Wisconsin (#2 and #1 nationally) on the way to the final
four.  The easier road *may* be out East, especially if you can get a bye.

I think Maine caught a break last year by getting Clarkson in the
second-round (who I think was a weak #2 seed) and you can't expect that
every year (though St. Lawrence could do it!)

--
Deron Treadwell