ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:48:16 -0400
Here we are on the eve of Maine's second season and aside from Matt's mask
and a NC$$ elegibility change all is quiet!

Some random thoughts:

-Maine needs to win the first game, it's been so long since the Friars have
won in Alfond that if they get that monkey off their back they'll be that
much tougher to sweep.

-I'd feel better if Maine came out like they did the first game against UNH
and buried the Friars.  That way they're left to lick their wounds and
believe that they really can't win at Alfond.

-Is their any concern on the goaltending front.  Matt had proven himself to
be a steady #1 and then 8 goals in 4 plus periods.  Morrison comes in and
blanks them over the final 2 periods of the weekend.  Is anybody concerned
by that?

-The #1 seed in the East is still a big question mark.  A Hockey East
Championship means a trip to Albany and a bye.  It's been a long time since
we've captured the Hockey East Title game and this year we have a more
important reason for winning it.  A loss in the quarters or semis could
mean a lower seeding and a trip to Minnesota instead of Albany.

-Can Schutte produce on a line with the Heistens or would Shaneberger or
Lawson be a better fit?  Loya certainly does not concern me on D, but the
way the 4 lines had been working I'm concerned that Liscaks injury will
result a less production from the Heisten line.

-Favorite Providence-Maine memory, Game three NCAA regional (then it was 2
of 3 at higher seeds ice) Maine is down a goal when Scott Pellerin rifles a
shot top corner to send the game into overtime at Alfond.  In the OT Martin
Robitaille holds the puck until he can balance himself and with the goalie
down and out backhands the puck past a frantic PC defenseman sending Maine
to the frozen four.

-Finally, I am a huge Cory Larose fan, but take question Deron Treadwell on
his post that Cory has now passed Steve Kariya in total points.  I checked
my Press Guide last night and counted on my fingers a couple of times, but
unless the latest stats (41pts this season) are off by 10 or 15 he still
trails Steve.

This takes nothing away from Cory, he is now a member of the top 10 all
time knocking Joe Crespi from the ranks.  For those of you who never saw
Crespi-Conn and gang play, they were an impressive group.

Interested in your thoughts!

Bob Fitta '83

PS  When's the next newsletter coming out?

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager
Harvard Magazine
http://www.harvard-magazine.com