EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 18:13:38 +0000
7bit
From:
"R. Gancie/C.Parcelli" <[log in to unmask]>
The first appearance in Canto 40 of the line "out of which thngs seeking
an exit" seems to simply refer to Pound's desire to abandon this current
strain of the Canto. (Exit as in an awkward social situation drawing on
the theatre usage.)The list above is a pretty weak menagerie from a
poetic standpoint. But also it is an extremely anemic sin to saddle
Morgan and the other villains (actually murderers)of the Canto with. I
mean consipcuous consumption for J. Pierpont Morgan, please. Perhaps we
need Dante to declare the appropriate bolgia.
The second use of the same line seems to refer, as J. Morse implies, to
the neutral tone with which Pound renders the Hanno section. After being
seduced by the story and its musical potential, Pound seems to run
aground upon the narrative equivalent of the earlier failed list. The
quick, Vaughan Williams like ascent of the last five lines shows just
how in a hurry Pound is to get out of the Canto. Four short phrases
rendering an aural ascent through a physical descent into the actual
castle of Karx, wherein mingles the mind and its mineral symbol. And how
mysterious is this mind--this Nous? It allows for the hanging of the
women's pelts next to the King's mappemunde. A scene of conquest for
certain but certainly not one to arouse thoughts of the 'ineffable' in
the reader. So if Hanno has grown anxious for the "imperial calm" after
his exertions, the tone of the earlier part of the section would
indicate frustration and a possible sense of failure with the substance
of his conquest. Likewise Pound has largely failed in the Canto and
seeks similar sanctuary thus the "exit". This is further signified by
Pound's diminishing the mappemunde (my interjection) by placing a
woman's skin next to it. Maybe, a prized trophy in the court of Karx.
but certainly one desiged to evoke revulsion and saddle Hanno with a
certain cowardice in the mind of the modern reader. Anyway, the final
five lines are beautiful with their iteration of vectoring "to"'s
rhyming with the directionless "Nous." And the back strobing rhythms of
the last two lines. Wow! Carlo Parcelli
And do these two 'parts' of the Canto connect in any other more profound
way? And as a working man myself, I'm curious what is Pound's attitude
tradesman in this first part of the Canto? Carlo Parcelli