EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Arwin van Arum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 19:01:13 +0200
There are a couple of misguided bits of info in this mail. 1 - Winzip will
not (significantly) further compress JPG files. 2 - GIF is not smaller than
JPG - only in rare occasions, when there are fewer than 256 colours, large
square patterns of exactly (and I mean exactly) the same colour will a GIF
be smaller. Otherwise a GIF will still be 2 or 3 times bigger than a good
quality JPG.

Other things are true, however: there are usually limits on lists that
prevent attachments from over 64kb, message sizes of 64kb, and on some lists
no attachments at all can be broadcasted. Not only is this done because some
connections are slow, but not everyone uses an up-to-date browser that will
properly handle the attachment and turn up lots of garbage.

The suggestion to provide a link is best - I do that a lot, and if you send
the image to me I will post it up for everyone to take a look at. I have a
lightning-fast 250kb+/sec connection so it'd be a very small effort and the
site I host it on is very fast. My T.S. Eliot site is hosted there too (at
http://people.a2000.nl/avanarum/ ).

Kind regards,

Arwin