EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 11:04:42 -0400
As Tim suggests, I hope that no one from now on will send
an attachment to the whole list.  I am one of those whose
machine bogs down and sometimes freezes trying to receive
it.  That could mean being locked out of my email for
days.

==Dan Pearlman

At 07:26 AM 5/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Wayne,
>The listserver could be enforcing a limit on the size of
>attachments. FYI, on many other lists, you'd be flamed to a crisp
>for sending an attachment that size, because some folks still have
>very slow dialup connections or pay high rates for their online
>time or use mail readers whose attachment-handling capabilities
>are crude. It could take 20 minutes or more to bring down an image
>that size over a slower connection. When I receive large email
>attachments, they sometimes cause my ISP's mail server to fail to
>release a lock on my mailbox, and I have to make a phone call to
>tech support, remain on hold for ? minutes, and then get them to
>fix the problem.  While I am waiting for them to fix the problem,
>I continue to receive, over and over, mail I've already
>downloaded. Given such technical problems, the usual etiquette is
>to announce the availability of such an image and a willingness to
>send it directly to those who request it or to put it on a web
>site and announce the URL from where it may be downloaded. To make
>it smaller, you could compress it using WinZIP
>(http://www.winzip.com).  Or you could save it as a GIF after
>reducing its color depth.
>Tim Romano
>
>Wayne Pounds wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the confirmation, but no one has seen the
>> JPEG image I sent Friday? Excuse my persistance, but I
>> am sure this artist's work would be of great interest
>> to the ep list. I'll resend the image if necessary,
>> perhaps in another format or smaller size (the JPEG
>> was 400+)? Can someone with technical savoir faire
>> advise?
>>
>> Wayne
>> @Rapallo

Dan Pearlman                    Office: Department of English
102 Blackstone Blvd. #5                 University of Rhode Island
Providence, RI 02906                    Kingston, RI 02881
Tel.: 401 453-3027                      Tel.: 401 874-4659
email: [log in to unmask]              Fax:  401 874-2580
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/