EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:57:33 -0500
1. Might it be that EP connected ant and
centaur because both have six limbs?

2. In connection with the vanity theme,
the line's meaning doesn't seem that mysterious--
to me, anyway.  All he's saying is that all us little
critters puff ourselves up in our minds--
(we become centaurs) and puff up the
importance of our little worlds of concern
(enemy lizards become dragons)--far beyond their
real significance.

Nevertheless, it's fun to see all these ingenious
explications offered up here.  The line does serve
as a wonderful Rorschach for us literary critics.
This is my own second run at it.

==Dan P

At 03:14 PM 3/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Michael Coyle asked: "what *do* these lines mean?
>>The ant's a centaur in his
>>  dragon world."
>        I like this question a lot--because I don't know the answer either,
>but have puzzled by it for about ten years, after taking it for granted for
>the previous twenty.

Dan Pearlman                    Office: Department of English
102 Blackstone Blvd. #5                 University of Rhode Island
Providence, RI 02906                    Kingston, RI 02881
Tel.: 401 453-3027                      Tel.: 401 874-4659
email: [log in to unmask]              Fax:  401 874-2580
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/