EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Ted Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:54:16 -0800
Bill Wagner wrote:
 > Dear Jay,
 >
 > Regarding Balkan folk music... The Bulgarian State Radio
and Television Female
 > Vocal Choir has an interesting collection on Elektra/
Nonesuch's Explorer Series
 > titled "Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares" and may have done a
second album.

 > The Pennywhistlers, a women's vocal group from the
sixties, has several wonderful
 > albums, including "Folk Songs of Eastern Europe" and
"Songs of the Earth" with
 > Theodore Bikel.  I'm sorry to say I do not know if they
are still available.

 > Instrumentally, the Irish musician Andy Ervine has done
some wonderful recording
 > of Eastern-European dance tunes with very complex rythyms.
Green Linnet and
 > Shanachie Records are two major Irish labels.  Folk Legacy
also has a large
 > catalog, and the Smithsonian took over the Folkways
archives which should include
 > some Balkan music.
 >
 > I hope this is helpful.
 >
 > Bill Wagner

I've been trying to send a post about this for days, and it
keeps bouncing back--I was going to mention the ""Le Mystere
Des Voix Bulgares", there is a second album, the group was
actually a subset of a larger group directed by Philip Koutev
and there is a nice CD compilation under that name as well.

Also on Nonesuch is A harvest,a shepherd, a bride,  that is
field music collected by Martin Koenig and Ethel RaiM(who
founded the Pennywhistlers).

I don't care for Andy Statman's stuff, because he doesn't
really keep the rhythms well enough to dance to (which is
what is all about).  As an alternative, I'd suggest
Zlatne Uste, who are a traditional balkan brass band that
play the music.  This stuff can be ordered from Elderly
Instruments, who are on the web, and Tower has been known to
carry it--especially the Voix Bulgares, which was a big hit
on college radio a few years ago, and one of the cuts,
Polegnala e Tudora, is actually now used in a Volvo
commercial.

Ted