EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Ted Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 14:49:20 -0800
The Hymn to the Sun that I was thinking is in L'Coq D'Or, by
Rimsky-Korsakov--not the same page as everyone else, I guess.

At any rate, "Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares" on Nonesuch, by
the Bulgarian State Radio and Television Female Vocal Choir,
is really fun, and includes  "Polegnala de Tudora" which is
now a TV commercial for Volvo.

For those who want to hear field recordings, "A harvest, a
Shephard, a Bride, Village Music of Bulgaria" also on none
such, is worth listening to.

I think it is worth making a distinction between ancient
poetry, for which the melodies are speculative at best, and
folk music, for which  the melodies, scales, and rhythms are
documented--and which I was basing my comments on.

Music poetry and dance are still pretty closely tied together
in non-western cultures--maybe some of you who are well
versed in this can  shed a little light  on the question of
when these things became  clearly seperated in the West--

For instance, the troubadours, to whom Dante was closely
connected, sang and played their work--did Dante?

Ted