EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Arwin van Arum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 21:02:45 +0100
One is sooner a linguist by knowing a little about many languages than by
knowing one language very well in particular. After all, otherwise everyone
would be a linguist. I know two languages well (English and Dutch), a few
more not very (French, German, Swedish); my Latin is non-existent without a
dictionary (though fairly reasonable with - I know the rules), and I know a
very little bit about Italian, Japanese, and Finnish.

What would make me a linguist are having studied and read books about
Cognitive Linguisticts, Discourse Analysis, Generative Grammar, Intonation,
Phonetics, etc. It is not knowing a language, but knowing how to look at a
language. Pound is a linguist for the way he lookes at language: like a
scientist - there is ample evidence of his doing so in the literature and
in his writings, including a little essay of my own on my T.S. Eliot site
(http://people.a2000.nl/avanarum/ choose Articles On, and then The Serious
Artist)..

Oh what a shameless plug. Sorry about that. ;-)

Arwin.