EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 13:23:22 -0500
You're almost as elliptical as Pound. _What_ did Faulkner do?  And what were the strange thoughts Pound was having about ten-year-old boys (mentioned in your previous post)?

Re Luther Burbank in the Agresti letter: broadcast #35 ("The Precarious") shows unmistakable influence of eugenic thinking. And concern with eugenics runs throughout the broadcasts.

A commonplace of applied eugenics, heredity as applied to social science, was that the nation was being weakened by luxury and self-indulgence: "...their own passions will run 'em and run the nation to ruin." Compare the references to Alex. Hamilton ("pink haired snot...a great man with the ladies") with the references to Beardsley ("pink-nailed esthete") in the broadcast where Pound links good ART, not Beardsley's variety, with HEALTH (#52). Compare the frequent mention of syphilis as a figure for the nation's decay (e.g.#51) which is part of that complex of ideas. A nation suffering from "chordee" (#31). "Yiddish refugee...publisher of pornography in Berlin"(#59).

Compare references to dilution of the American racial stock; weakened by "IMPORTATIONS" (#21, 42, 43). Forces working against so-called positive-eugenist forces: "Contraception, killin' the native stock...instead of BREEDING a population." (#35).  The dysgenic effects of war.

This complex of ideas is linked to what in Pound's mind is the cause: "Aristocracies ROT, they fall under usurocracy" (#53).

These broadcasts represent much more than "suburban prejudices"  and more than a pathology. They are a reflection of the American _intellectual_ climate with respect to issues of race and national health.

Tim Romano