EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:16:42 -0500
You seem to be implying that Pound's pro-Fascist politics, over a period of decades, is the result of an inferiority complex stemming from his not have been awarded the Ph.D. by University of Pennsylvania? Even though he was a poet of international renown? That those politics had little or nothing to do with his sense of civic purpose and his having lived through the first world war, and his seeing what was happening in the US and Britain and Germany and Italy during the period of the Great Depression? His watching as the US moved away from its position of neutrality towards a war footing?

Pound's use of "etc" suggested to me that he was more interested in getting to the next sentence after making his point, than in quoting the rest of that sentence. What is your point? That if Pound were truly interested in clear language, he would have quoted the entire sentence?

My point was that Pound's emphasis is on a conspiracy to undermine the ability of the nation to follow politics crucial to its survival, and that this conspiracy involved the undermining of the clarity of the written word especially in matters relating to economics; he asks:

"Was there a deliberate plot? That is what should concern you. WAS there a plot? How long had it been in existence? Does it continue, with its Lehmans, Morgenthaus, Baruchs?...With Mr. Willie Wiseman, late of the British secret service, ensconced in Kuhn, Loeb and Co., to direct and rule you?"

Though one may hear echoes of Mein Kampf in this broadcast, Pound here lays the blame upon a small and powerful clique of international capitalists with access to power at the highest levels, not on "the Jewish people" as a whole.

Tim Romano